Introduced by Maxwell & Beale (Corfe Mullen, Dorset, England) in 1951, as E. verticillata; originally sent to the nursery from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, on 16 March 1949. Identified subsequently as a hybrid, after it was given the cultivar name by Mrs C. Turpin (West Clandon, Surrey) in 1990.
Synonyms include E. anthura ‘Heaven Scent’; ‘Major Turpin’s Form’; ‘Maxwell’s Form’.
Name is a pun on the scent of the plant, suggested by Cherry Turpin.
Image courtesy of E. C. Nelson